Accomplishments of ENAPAL since 1996
Legal registration, organization of grass root level local associations and became
founding member of the Ethiopian Federation of Persons with disabilities, EFPD,
comprised of Ethiopian National Association of the Blind ENAB, Ethiopian National
Association of the Deaf ENAD, Ethiopian National Association of Physically Handicaps
ENAPH and Ethiopian National Association of Mentally Retarded Children and Youth
Drew up and implemented a five-year plan, 2000 – 2004, and. Thus, the major accomplishments
- Acquired national office provided by ALERT.
- Equipped with basic office facilities.
- Employed professional staff.
- Held annual National General Assembly Meeting since 1996
- Made baseline data study for intervention: Addis Ababa, AddisTesfa Hiwot, Shashemene,
Gunchire, and Jimma.
- Established effective networking and partnerships within Ethiopia and Overseas.
- Secured start up capacity building and pilot projects budget from Partners: GLRA,
TLMI/TLMNZ, IDEA, Embassies, MOLSA, MOH and membership contribution.
- Organized leadership and staff training courses for national, regional, and local
- Subsidizing office and other works running money to each regional and local association
- Support the establishments of additional local associations.
Awareness Raising and Advocacy
- ENAPAL has organized the World Leprosy Day celebrations annually since 2000.
- Published annually the “TRUTH” a bilingual magazine since 2000.
- Produced brochures, posters, banners and organized public rallies and, public gathering
- Became member of the Ethiopian Disabled Persons Sport Federation, and participated
in the annual sport festival since 1999.
- Advocated for, and voiced the problems of, persons affected by leprosy and the suffering
of displaced members in places like Shashemene and Addis Tesfa Hiwot.
- Actively participated in Awareness and Advocacy forums: EFPDs Biruh Tesfa radio
transmission through the Ethiopian Radio and conducted radio transmission through
the FM 97.1 and Fana radio stations.
- Published quarterly the “VOICE “a bilingual news letter since December 2006.
- Started our own radio program transmission "Demtsachen" through the Ethiopian radio
station since December 2006.
- Different television and stage dramas prepared and showed to the public.
Socio Economic Rehabilitation
- Implemented revolving loan schemes for income generation funded by Sasakawa Memorial
Health Foundation (since 1999) and TLMI/TLMNZ (since 2002) in Addis Ababa, Shashemene,
Gunchire and Addis Tesfa Hiwot.
- Operating an IDEA and Sasakawa funded education project for primary and junior secondary
- Running a loan programme for vocational and college education students funded by
- Elderly, children and youth supported in partnership with the local NGO called EVERY
- Edible oil milling in Zenebework Addis Ababa for elderly persons.
- IGA employment in the Addis Ababa Association.
- Gulele Brush production Gulele in Addis Ababa.
- Jimma coffee roasting, grinding and packing in Jimma.
- Ms Masako Hosai scholarship in Addis Ababa ,Bahir Dar ,Dessie ,Kombolcha ,Bisidimo
,Harara ,Awassa ,Dire Dawa ,Mekele .
- Dessie IGA Project in Dessie and Dessie housing in Dessie
- Awassa Integrated community Development (housing, education and IGA) in Awassa
- Pilot Awareness and Advocacy work nation wide.
- Women Entrepreneurship in Addis Ababa, Tigray and Amhara
- Livelihood project through cattle fattening in Bahir Dar.
- Dire Dawa income generating schemes through revolving loan.